Tuesday, October 26, 2010

a birthday

... when roddy asked if there were any request on where we should be for my birthday, i said ' i'd like to be either somewhere i can go out hiking in the morning, or somewhere with internet so i can call home'. i got neither... i got a afrikaner's club/resort out in the middle of no where. i was surrounded by tons of greying caravan-totting, heated- pool-loving, white south africans. it was a cultural experience to put it lightly...
 

example: rachel and i politely chatting to someone at the heated wading pool...
man: ' you're all from cape town?'
rachel: 'yes- it's a great place'
man: 'i have friends that say it's getting really bad there now...'
rachel: ' ...bad how?'

man: 'they say it's getting really gay.'
me: 'terrible!'

but with two little girls that love preparing 'secrets', and rachel excited to prepare me for life back in the states, what more could i ask for?? ...and really, i don't have anything against afrikaners (even if the men walk around in speedos meant for smaller-shaped bodies and the women have 'flattop' haircuts). the old couple staying next to my tent were amazing- when they heard 'happy birthday' being sung to me in the morning, the wife rushed over with some home-made chocolate romany creams. if she knew how to cook anything without meat at the center of it, i'm sure she would have wanted to make me a full meal!



so for my birthday, i was kitted out with garlic peri-peri sauce, two different types of marsala spices, and a set of enamel bowls and coffee mugs (very much like these). we had scones, yogurt and fruit salad (and chocolate romany creams) for breakfast, and ice cream and a chocolate swiss-roll covered in mashed bananas and strawberries for cake after lunch. i should also add the two-liter jug of tussenberg's wine (aka 'tussies', the mix of left-over wines of wineries poured into one jug) to the list.



my gift to myself was watching the pirated copies of 'fantastic mr fox' and 'up' that i got in nairobi. if you haven't seen both of these films, do so now.... right now.
 http://www.gmanreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/fantastic-mr-fox.jpg

and thank yous out to my family and many friends that emailed, facebooked, called, or otherwise sent me messages on my birthday... i owe you all the world.
 

and if you want a little video fun, give a look to the video i made for a friend for her birthday (in response to her video for me)



now in johannesburg, and i cannot believe how little of the grand adventure is left. but between jo'burg and cape town, i still have a lot of ground to cover and things to do!!!

cheers to 44 days!

hope all is well,

tbk

1 comment:

Craig Reinauer said...

I LOVE IT! Great stop motion.